About our Programs
CPS Athletics and Sports Programs provide all students, regardless of race, gender or ethnicity, opportunities to develop physically, mentally and emotionally in controlled, safe activities outside of the traditional classroom.
Our sports programs enlighten students with a sense of belonging, self-worth, direction and confidence. Studies have shown that student participation in athletics has positive effects on school performance and adolescent development, fostering success later in life while promoting physical development and fitness.
Click the links below to:
- See a listing of sports offered at our league high schools
- View schedules and calendars for high school sports
About our Staff
The Department of Sports Administration & Facilities Management oversees the athletics and sports programs. The staff consists of:
Thomas Trotter – Executive Director Executive Director (773) 534-0700
Thomas Smith –Director of Sports Administration (773) 534-0700
Karl Kemp - Director of Sports Operations (773) 534-0700
Regional Athletic Directors
- Elizabeth Almaguer (773) 534-0737 Bowling (boys & girls), Golf (boys & girls), Spirit (co-ed), Tennis (boys & girls), Volleyball (boys)
- Joel Bullock (773) 534-0727 Cross Country (boys & girls), 16-inch Softball (boys), Baseball, Basketball (boys), Waterpolo (boys & girls)
- Cynthia Irvin (773) 534-0734 Basketball (girls), Double Dutch, Fastpitch Softball (girls), Volleyball (girls)
- Mickey Priutt (773) 534-0729 Football, Lacrosse (boys & girls), Soccer (girls), Wrestling
- Desire Wheeler (773) 534-0728 Chess Soccer (boys), Swimming (boys & girls), Track/Field (co-ed)
- Pamela Munizzi (773) 534-0770
- Aneita Williams (773) 534-0723
Chicago Public High Schools Athletic Association
The Chicago Public High Schools Athletic Association is the governing body that oversees and promotes interscholastic athletics for the Chicago Public High Schools.
The association promotes and regulates interscholastic athletics for students so that participants can enjoy the benefits of physical fitness, teamwork and discipline that involvement in athletics can bring.
Read our Constitution and Bylaws .
IHSA (Illinois High School Association)
The IHSA governs the equitable participation in interscholastic athletics and activities that enrich the educational experience. More information about the IHSA can be found at www.ihsa.org .
Legal Statement Regarding The Education Amendment Act of 1972 (Title IX)
It is the policy of the Board of Education of the City of Chicago not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability or sex. Any student or other interested party, such as a coach or parent, may inquire about the possibility of adding a new sport, or adding a new level (e.g. varsity, junior varsity, sophomore, freshman) to an existing sport at a CPS high school.
Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX, and the regulations promulgated thereunder regarding sports/athletics should be referred to the Title IX Sports Compliance Coordinator, Aneita Williams at (773) 534-0723 or email@example.com.