Alumni associations' overall strategy increases community involvement and support for the school system. CPS encourages and supports the creation of high school alumni associations and when feasible or possible, elementary school associations.
The creation of these organizations is recommended for the following reasons:
- Alumni organizations increase and broaden community-based support
- They foster and encourage the concept of giving back to the community
- Alumni organizations can be used to strengthen and support local school councils (LSCs)
- They provide positive and extremely effective role models
- Mentoring and tutoring programs are natural extensions of alumni organizations
- They attract people who generally have a sincere and vested interest in the school