"Runners take your mark. Set. Bang!" Track and Field events are among the oldest of all sporting competitions. The first recorded examples of organized events date back to the Ancient Olympic Games in 776 BC in Olympia, Greece. Today, track & field is the second most popular sport world-wide behind soccer, drawing huge audiences every four years at the modern Olympic Games.
In 2012, CPS athletes won state championships in the following events at the IHSA State Track & Field Finals:
- Dunbar - 4 x 100 Meter Boys Relay Team
- Dunbar - 4 x 400 Meter Boys Relay Team
- Lane Technical - 4 x 800 Meter Boys Relay Team
- Lindblom - Girls Individual Class 2A - 100 Hurdles, 300 Hurdles, & 400 Meters (set 3 state records!)
- Dunbar - Boys Individual Class 3A – 200 Meters
- Kelvyn Park - Boys Individual Class 2A – 100 Meters
Join the team
Students interested in track/field should contact the Athletic Director at their school. Your school will be able to provide more information about eligibility and team tryouts.
Schedules and calendars
Information provided below is for Varsity Level only. Schedules & Calendars for other levels (Junior Varsity, Sophomore, Freshman) may be obtained from the Athletic Director at each school.
Boys and Girls Track & Field Schedule and Alignment
The latest sports news and scores are available online at the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.
For more information contact the Regional Athletic Director for track/field, Thomas Smith at (773) 534-0738.