Service-Learning is a teaching and learning methodology that connects classroom curriculum with identified community issues and needs. It engages students in projects that serve the community and build their social and academic capacities.
Service-Learning works with a variety of service agencies including: 4-H Club, Access Living, the Adler Planetarium, American Cancer Society, Boys and Girls Clubs of Chicago, Catholic Charities, Field Museum, Hostelling International, and Meals on Wheels Chicago.
- Enhance social and academic learning
- Develop character and citizenship skills
- Learn about the issues
- Develop an action plan for service
- Engage in meaningful service by working on a project that will make a difference
- Learn to analyze and make sense of service through discussion, journaling, and presentation opportunities
- Strengthen classroom instruction in all subject areas to improve overall academic success
- Provide curriculum-driven projects
- Expose students to new concepts in learning
- Develop a stronger sense of social responsibility and civic awareness
Learn more about Service-Learning at its national website below.