The Department of Student Assessment is part of the Office of Accountability. CPS believes that a balanced assessment system is a core component of a well-rounded instructional program that serves all students. The Department of Assessment works to coordinate the logistics, training and communication of centralized formative and summative assessments. Our goals are to:
- Develop District pre-K – 12 assessment strategy
- Assist schools in building an assessment strategy
- Assist in development of assessments
- Advise on adoption of assessments
- Manage Federal, State, and District testing initiatives
- Provide accurate and timely information regarding testing purposes, procedures, and results
- Provide guidance on the appropriate use of assessment results for accountability
The CPS Assessment Framework outlines the principles of balanced assessment, policies and options in SY16 to support these principles, and the process for schools to plan for and select formative assessment options. Please review this carefully to support development of your school's assessment approach.
The models are meant to illustrate how to build a balanced assessment plan. These are NOT prescriptive, but are meant to provide examples and help drive assessment planning.