Kindergarten Enrollment Eligibility: All children residing in the City of Chicago who are 5 years old on or before September 1 of the current school year, are eligible for enrollment into a CPS Kindergarten program.
The parent, legal guardian, or temporary custodian of any elementary age child enrolling in a Chicago public school is required to submit proof of age and required medical records to the school.
Proof of age
Includes, but is not limited to, any ONE of the documents listed below:
- Child’s birth certificate
- Child’s baptismal record
- Court documents
- Medical records
Proof of current address
Includes, but is not limited to, any TWO of the documents listed below:
- Current utility bill
- Illinois driver’s license or State of Illinois identification card
- Employee identification number
- MediPlan/Medicaid card
- Court documents
- Illinois Department of Public Aid card
- Stamped United States Post Office change of address form
- Illinois state aid check/social security check
Children are encouraged to submit their required immunizations and physicals prior to the start of the school year and no later than October 15 of the current school or they will face expulsion from school.
Physical examination requirements
All students must have a physical examination within one year of:
- entering schools in the State of Illinois for the first time, at any grade level
- entering kindergarten or 1st grade, 6th grade, and 9th grade (ages 5, 10, 15 for ungraded programs)
- entering preschool, up to age 6 (physical exam and lead screenings)
View physical exam forms.
- Diptheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Tetanus (DTP/Td)
- Inactivated Polio
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Haemophillus Influenza, Type B (HIB)
All students in Kindergarten, 2nd, and 6th grade must have a dental exam completed by a licensed dentist prior to May 15th of the current school year.
View dental requirements and forms.
If you want more details about the immunization requirements, or if you have questions, first call your local school nurse or the Office of Coordinated School Health (773) 553-1830.