To be a “legal” coach or official for a member school of the Illinois High School Association/Chicago Public League you must be a formal employee, or formal registered volunteer of the district/school.
Coaches must also:
- Complete the Concussion Awareness Program designed and required by League by-laws (same as required by the IHSA) and keep the certification current.
- Complete the Performance Enhancing Substance Awareness Program designed and required by the IHSA.
- Complete a formal Coaching Education Program approved by the IHSA (most notably the courses named Coaching Principles and Sports First Aid offered through the American Sport Education Program or Fundamentals of Coaching and First Aid, Health and Safety through the National Federation of High Schools as well as the IHSA Bylaws test or IHSA component).
- Be 19 years or older.
- View the Rules Interpretation Video of their respective sport provided by the IHSA.
- Volunteers must also fulfill all of these requirements.
To become a legal coach or official for a member school of the Illinois High School Association/Chicago Public League, you must be a formal employee or a formal registered volunteer of the district/school. Each of these positions require submitting to a background check.
Individuals that are not currently employed by the Chicago Public Schools must complete the formal hiring process through CPS Talent, which includes submitting to a background check after being referred by a school principal for a coaching position. All prospective coaches must pass a CPS background check.
You can submit your coaching credentials/certifications for open positions by applying on Taleo, the CPS job portal:
This information will be stored in a database to be accessed when the Office of Sports Administration is informed of a position opening at one of the schools.
The completion of additional free sports-specific courses to target training for appropriate behaviors and student protection offered by the National Federation of State High Schools (NFHS) may also be required each year by the Office of Sports Administration.
- Concussion Certification
Concussion certifications are valid for two years. Coaches will need to renew their certification if it has expired. Log into www.ihsa.org and click on the concussion protocol.
- IHSA Coaching Certification
Coaches are required to have a current coaching certification through American Sport Education Program (ASEP), NFHS, or other IHSA Board-approved coaches certification programs. Read more about IHSA non-faculty certified coach requirements.