The IHSA’s “Fundamental Principle,” which is applied to all student transfer and athletic eligibility cases, states, “High School sports are best controlled and conducted fairly when students reside full time with their parents and attend high school in the district/area in which they reside with their parents. Departure from this basic premise requires circumstances which are within the parameters established within Article 1.460 of the IHSA Constitution, which do not conflict with the overall purpose and scope of the by-laws.”
Once the Request for Eligibility Form is submitted, the Office of Sports Administration will determine a ruling of “eligible” or “ineligible” for a period not to exceed 365 days.
A ruling of “Eligible” is likely to be granted when:
- There is no evidence of recruiting or undue influence on the student to transfer to the receiving school.
- Both Principals concur with the transfer according to the IHSA Principals’ Concurrence Form, and either: the student has changed residency with his/her parent/guardian into the receiving school’s established attendance area, OR the student has changed residency with his/her parent/guardian within the District and the receiving school is a selective enrollment, magnet, or charter school.
A ruling of “Ineligible” is likely be determined when:
- There is no legal, verified, actual change of residence of the student with the parent/guardian in conjunction with the transfer. Eligibility may still be granted when the student is enrolling for the first time in his/her home school according to CPS established attendance areas without previously residing in the District, OR the student was transferred through the corresponding Network Office of the Chicago Public Schools.
- Both Principals do not concur with the transfer according to the IHSA Principals’ Concurrence Form.
- The student is not enrolling for the first time in his/her home school and there is no change in residency.
- The transfer is determined to be athletically motivated.
- Statements made in the Request for Eligibility Form are proven false.
For more information, Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Rules 3.040 and 3.030 outline the criteria and standards for the eligibility of students after transferring schools.