The Law department provides a full array of legal services to the Chicago Board of Education and the various departments and divisions of the Chicago Public Schools. Board attorneys represent and counsel clients on general litigation, labor and employment matters, school law, school finance, student discipline, commercial transactions, and workers’ compensation.
In addition, attorneys represent the Board on transactional matters including contracts, real estate, municipal finance, and other legal issues that arise in the course of the day-to-day operations of the Chicago Public Schools. They also assist in developing and drafting Board policies and rules and are particularly instrumental in developing and implementing rules and procedures for the election and operations of Local School Councils (LSC).
The Law department is organized into five practice areas and performs administrative and investigative functions:
- General Litigation provides representation in a wide range of litigation filed on behalf of or against the Board in State and Federal courts and before various administrative tribunals.
- School Law/School Reform provides advice, counsel, and representation to the Board and its administrators in matters pertinent to school law, including eligibility of LSC members, LSC governance issues, the principal selection and retention process, student discipline, tuition fraud, educational policies, and the various forms of intervention taken to improve schools on probation or in remediation status.
- Transactional/Contracts provides legal services in the documentation of transactions, reviews contracts and real estate transactions, ensures compliance with statutes, Board rules, and policies governing Board procurement activities and various financial matters. This section also provides comprehensive legal support in the area of land acquisition and capital improvement.
- Labor provides representation of the Board in grievance-arbitration matters and proceedings before the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board and the Illinois Department of Labor. Also, provides advice and counsel to the Department of Human Services in labor and personnel matters and supports the Board in labor negotiations.
- Torts, Worker’s Compensation, and Commercial Litigation provides representation in personal injury, property damage, and worker’s compensation matters filed against the Board. This section also handles claims made on behalf of the Board for property damage, contribution, indemnification, insurance coverage and subrogation and represents the Board in litigation arising from such commercial transactions as alleged breach of contract, payment disputes, collection actions and construction litigation. This section also represents the Board in actions against vendors, consultants, and contractors for breach of contract and fraud.
Student Record Retention and Disposal
To view some of the documents provided on this page, you need Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this program, click download Adobe Acrobat Reader nowand follow the instructions.