- Adoption, Amendment, Repeal or Suspension of Final Rules and Policies. The Board of Education (Board) enacts Rules and Policies1 pursuant to 105 ILCS 5/34-19 and such actions have the force of ordinances. Rules and Policies may only be adopted or amended at a regular meeting and by a vote of two-thirds of the full membership of the Board. Rules and Policies of the Board of Education may only be repealed or suspended at a regular meeting by a vote of two-thirds of the full membership of the Board. Except as provided by subsections (b) and (d) below, adoption, amendment, repealer or suspension must be preceded by the following actions:
- The proposed adoption or amendment of a Rule or Policy or motion for repealer or rescission of a Board Rule or Policy has been posted on the district’s website for a period of thirty (30) calendar days with an invitation to the general public to provide public comment.
- All public comment has been published to the general public on the district’s website, provided however the comments that reveal confidential or private information or use expletives or defamatory, vulgar or threatening language may be redacted or omitted.
- All public comment has been provided to Board members at least ten (10) calendar days prior to their consideration of proposed new or amended rule or motion to rescind or repeal.
- Interim Rules or Policies and Interim Amendments to Rules and Policies. The Board may adopt an interim Rule or Policy or amend a Rule or Policy on an interim basis prior to a public comment period and/or before meeting any or all of the prerequisites outlined in paragraphs (a)(i) to (iii) as an interim Rule to meet legal requirements or other exigent circumstances provided that the interim Rule or Policy shall expire ninety (90) calendar days after adoption unless replaced by a final Rule or Policy.
- Form of Rule Addition, Amendment or Repeal. Any and all additions, amendments or repeal of these Rules shall specify the chapter and section thereof sought to be added, amended or repealed.
- Suspension of Rules and Policies. Rules and Policies may be suspended at any regular meeting by a majority of the full membership then serving. Any suspension of a Rule or Policy shall be for a specified time period.
- Effective date. The amended portions of this Rule are effective September 26, 2019 and thereafter.
- Policy and Rules /
- Board Rules /
- Chapter II: Conduct of the Business of the Board of Education
- 2-6: Adoption, Amendment, Repeal or Suspension of Final Rules and Policies
Adoption, Amendment, Repeal or Suspension of Final Rules and Policies