THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER RECOMMENDS
That the Board rescind Board Report 99-0421-PO3 and adopt a revised No-Pass, No-Play Policy.
The purpose of this policy is to enumerate uniform no-pass, no-play requirements for students in grades 9 through 12 who wish to participate in school-sponsored athletics or extra-curricular activities. This policy is established to satisfy Section 34-18.17 of the Illinois School Code which requires the Board to establish a uniform policy that precludes high school students who fail to satisfy certain academic performance standards from participating in athletics and extra-curricular activities.
Students in grades 9 through 12 who wish to participate in school-sponsored athletics or extra-curricular activities must satisfy the following no-pass, no-play requirements:
Past Semester Standing
- For contest/activities occurring during the first semester of the 2012-2013 school year, a student must receive passing grades in 20 credit hours (4 half credits or their equivalent) for the previous semester. For contest/activities occurring during the second semester of the 2012-2013 school year and thereafter, a student must receive passing grades in 25 credit hours (5 half credits or their equivalent) for the previous semester. Additionally, a student with a grade point average below 2.0 must have an Individual Study Plan (“ISP”) in place to address academic weaknesses. The ISP must be approved by the Principal. If the student fails to satisfy the requirements of their ISP, the student’s eligibility to participate will be withdrawn.
- Credits earned in summer school may be applied to previous semester requirements.
- A beginning freshman who has never attended any other secondary school will be eligible at once if entering at the opening of the semester. This entry must be prior to the 11th day of school.
- If the student shall have been in membership ten days or more during any semester, the student shall be counted as having been in attendance during said semester. If the student has been out of school for a semester or more, the previous semester shall be understood to mean the last semester during which the student was a member of a high school for at least ten days.
Present Semester Record
- The student shall be passing in 25 credit hours (5 half credits or their equivalent) as checked every week by the Principal or designee.
- For purposes of scholastic eligibility, “passing” shall be determined by a student’s grades, school attendance and attendance in class and conduct during the school day. A student who is failing one or more courses at the end of a week during the season shall be ineligible for the next week of competition. A student who accumulates two (2) or more unexcused absences from class or school in a school week during the season shall be ineligible for the next week of competition. A student who is suspended from school for misconduct or subject to the loss of extracurricular activity privileges shall be ineligible for competition or practice during the term of the suspension or loss.
- Eligibility shall be determined every week by the Athletic Director as approved by the high school principal. Eligibility shall date from Monday through Sunday of each week of the semester.
- If a student is rendered ineligible for the next semester’s season due to failed courses, the student may attend summer school to make up the failed courses and re-gain eligibility for the next semester’s sport season. If he/she obtains passing grades which fulfill the eligibility requirements, he/she will be eligible for participation in August.
Additional eligibility procedures may apply to students participating in interscholastic sports that are governed by the Chicago Public High Schools Athletic Association Constitution and Bylaws (http://policy.cps.k12.il.us/download.aspx?ID=26).
|18-0627-RS1 [Resolution Approving a Competency-Based Education Pilot Program in Eleven High Schools and Related Policy Modifications] is attached to the Policy
|105 ILCS 5/34-18.17