Student and School Health Data
The Office of Student Health and Wellness collects student and school health-related data. This includes data collected through the Healthy CPS Survey, The Youth Risk Behavior Study, School Health Profiles, and The Illinois Youth Survey. These data are used by CPS and external partners for research, policy, advocacy work, and more.
Each CPS school is expected to complete a Healthy CPS survey at the end of each school year to assess their Healthy CPS status. Note, Healthy CPS data was not collected for SY 2021.
Accessing Healthy CPS Data
You can download a school's Healthy CPS Report via the school's public profile.
- Search for the School Name
- Click the "Downloads," tab
- Scroll to the "Other" section" at the bottom on the page
- Find "Healthy CPS Reports." Healthy CPS Reports are not available for School Year 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 due to COVID-19.
The Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS)
About The YRBS YRBS collects district-level data from a sample of high school and middle school students to monitor the prevalence of youth behaviors that most influence health. Data is collected every other year and will next be collected in Fall 2021. Topics covered include drug use, dietary behaviors, physical activity, sexual behaviors, mental health, and more. These data are used to determine existing health needs and improve youth-based health programs. Data is collected in school settings and is completely anonymous.
Accessing Chicago YRBS Data
- High School YRBS 2019 Databook
- High School YRBS LGBTQ+ Health databook
- High School YRBS Substance Use Factsheet
- 2019 YRBS Data
- YRBS explorer on national, state, and local data from YRBS
- More about YRBS
School Health Profiles (SHP)
SHP collects data from school principals and teachers assessing health policies and practices in middle schools and high schools. Topics covered include school health education requirements, school-based health services, practices related to bullying and sexual harassment, and more.
Accessing Chicago SHP Data
The Illinois Youth Survey (IYS)
About The IYS
The Illinois Youth Survey (IYS) is a self-report survey administered in schools every other year. Funded by the Illinois Department of Human Services, the IYS is open to all schools in Illinois with 8th, 10th, and 12th grade students.The IYS gathers information about a variety of health and social indicators including substance use and perceptions, bullying, school climate, nutrition, and physical activity.
- Individual school reports are provided to principals through a secure online portal.
- Aggregated reports (including Chicago community area and county reports) are posted on the IYS website.
For questions about CPS student health data, please contact OSHW@cps.edu.