The Illinois School Code (105 ILCS 5/26-1) and case law permit a parent or legal guardian to educate his or her child at home if instruction is given in the English language. Parents or legal guardians are responsible for providing a child with an organized educational program and using appropriate materials and teaching methods in order to satisfy statutory requirements.
If parents or legal guardians choose to educate their child at home, CPS requests that they complete the Chicago Public Schools Statement of Assurance form. This documentation is requested to be filed with CPS annually for each child.
How to File Your Homeschooling Documentation with CPS
If completing the printable/PDF version of the CPS Statement of Assurance form, please fax, mail, or email to the contacts below, and if applicable, it is highly recommended that parents or legal guardians provide a copy to their District school:
Attn: Ali Fendrick or Lauren J. Bell
Department of Policy and Procedures
1 North Dearborn St., 9th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60602
If completing the online version of the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) Statement of Assurance form, if applicable, please forward a copy of the response to the District school.
Please also keep a copy for your records.
- Claim or reclaim the values of the individual family
- Develop a deep sense of commitment for the family
- Enable the family to learn together
- Individualized learning focuses on the needs, learning styles, personality and interests of the child
- Provide an alternative to the traditional classroom
- Provide parent-directed education
- Parents and students set the pace for learning
- Parents and students can learn together
- No set schedule
- Homeschooling Cover Letter
- CPS STATEMENT OF ASSURANCE (Online Form)
- CPS Statement of Assurance (Printable/PDF Form)
- Homeschooling Policy
- Illinois Homeschooling
- Homeschool FAQs
- Illinois Homeschooling Document - [ English ]
- Illinois Homeschooling Document - [ Spanish ]
- Supplemental Online Resources - [ English ]
- Supplemental Online Resources - [ Spanish ]