The Illinois School Code (105 ILCS 5/26-1) and case law permit a parent or legal guardian to educate his or her child at home if instruction is given in the English language. Parents or legal guardians are responsible for providing a child with an organized educational program and using appropriate materials and teaching methods in order to satisfy statutory requirements.
Please be aware that the State of Illinois Board of Education requests that parents and guardians of home-schooled children complete the Home Schooling Registration form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is CPS' policy to request parents or guardians who choose to homeschool their children to provide proof that they have registered their children with the Illinois State Board of Education by providing a copy of the Home Schooling Registration form for each child.
In addition, if parents choose to educate their child at home, CPS requests that they complete the Chicago Public Schools Statement of Assurance and provide a letter that describes the manner in which they will be instructing their child at home. This documentation should be filed with CPS annually for each child.
How to File Your Homeschooling Documentation with CPS
Please fax, mail, or email your Home Schooling Registration form, CPS Statement of Assurance, and letter to:
Attn: Lauren J. Bell
Department of Education Policy and Procedures
1 North Dearborn St., 9th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60602
In addition, if applicable, it is highly recommended that you provide your public school with a copy of the documentation (keeping a copy for your records).
- Claim or reclaim the values of the individual family
- Develop a deep sense of commitment for the family
- Enable the family to learn together
- Individualized learning focuses on the needs, learning styles, personality and interests of the child
- Provide an alternative to the traditional classroom
- Provide parent-directed education
- Parents and students set the pace for learning
- Parents and students can learn together
- No set schedule