Top of Page

Student Records and Transcripts

Former students can obtain copies of transcripts and other permanent student records.

Transcripts are the official and complete record of a student's academic achievements. They may be needed for various reasons, including transferring to a different school, applying to extracurricular programs, and applying to college or other postsecondary opportunities.

CPS can provide former students with a copy of a high school transcript, verification of a graduation date from high school, a copy of an elementary school transcript, and an elementary registration card or immunization records.

Current CPS students should see their school counselor to request a copy of their transcript.

Transcript, Record, and DACA Request Process

Former students can submit a request for a transcript or other permanent student record in one of two ways:

Submit Online & Pay with Credit / Debit Card (Recommended)

Print Form and Mail Money Order 

Records are mailed to your desired location via the US postal service. CPS does not offer a walk-in records request service and does not provide same-day or expedited document return services. CPS does not email or fax records.

When making a transcript or records request, please allow 5-7 business days from the time we receive your request. Allow extra time to receive via US mail.

If you are seeking a copy of your immunization records on file prior to 1989, you must submit your request directly to your former school.

Transcript and Record Request Fees

There is a $3 fee for each records request made by a former student, which can be made via credit / debit card or money order using the links above. There are no longer free requests.

Recent CPS Graduates

If you graduated from a CPS high school within the past five years and are seeking a copy of your high school transcript, or if you have withdrawn from a CPS high school within the past five years, submit a records request directly to your former high school.

Records Requests for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Filings

Former or current students seeking their elementary and high school transcripts for a DACA filing can submit a request using the links at the top of the page.

Third-Party Verification Request

Third-party verification requests must be submitted online and paid via credit or debit card. All third-party verification requests will be fulfilled by fax.

Submit Online & Pay with Credit / Debit Card

For more information about transcripts and other permanent student records, email Former Student Records at

Notice of Student Record Retention and Disposal

The law requires the Board of Education of the City of Chicago (the “Board”) to maintain educational records, which include both “permanent records” and “temporary records.” A student’s permanent record contains the student’s name, place and date of birth, address, transcript, parent(s) name(s) and address(es), attendance records, and other information mandated by the Illinois State Board of Education. The student’s temporary records include all school-related student information not contained in the permanent record. Student records may include both paper and electronic records.

According to Board policy, the retention periods for student records are as follows:

Student Grade Level

Record Category

Minimum Record Retention Period

Destruction Authorized When

Elementary and High School

Permanent Student Records

82 years after the student’s date of birth

Student Age – 83*

Elementary and High School

Temporary Special Education Records and Immunization

27 years after the student’s date of birth

Student Age – 28*

High School

Temporary Student Records and Immunization

27 years after the student’s date of birth

Student Age – 28*

Elementary School

Temporary Student Records

21 years after the student’s date of birth

Student Age – 21*

The Board will follow the above retention schedule and will destroy these student records in the natural course of business when the records are eligible for disposal. Notice of the record disposal schedule is also provided through annual newspaper publication. To review student records after the student has transferred, graduated, or withdrawn from school, parents and students may contact us at 773-535-4110. For additional information, refer to the Board’s Policy on Student Records.

Office of Former Student Records


773-535-4112 (Fax)

3532 W. 47th Place
Chicago, IL 60632