Top of Page

Transportation Services

This page includes important information and updates about transportation services for CPS students. However, please keep in mind that your student's school is your main source for information about eligibility for these services.

Transportation Services for SY24-25

Families who would like to request transportation services for next school year, or those who need to make changes to their existing services, must complete the Application For Transportation Form [ ENGLISH | SPANISH ] .

School Bus Driver

CPS Transportation is Hiring

Send your resume to and the Transportation Department will forward your resume to companies that manage hiring for these positions.

School Year 2024-25 Transportation Services Forms

Updated December 21, 2023

As you may have seen in the news, our country is continuing to experience a severe bus driver shortage, and that shortage is directly affecting CPS for the 2023-24 School Year.

For Diverse Learners and Students in Temporary Living Situations

In keeping with our commitment to prioritizing our most vulnerable students, and in alignment with policy approved by the Chicago Board of Education, CPS prioritizes transportation for Diverse Learners and Students in Temporary Living Situations. All Diverse Learners and Students in Temporary Living Situations who qualify for transportation and request transportation will be provided with transportation. 

If you have questions about your student's eligibility for transportation, please contact their school. If your student is eligible, please fill out an application for Transportation Service [ ENGLISH | SPANISH ]. The form must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian, and signed by the principal. The school will send in the form for processing by CPS.

If you are the parent of a child with disabilities for whom transportation is provided as part of an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan and your child is experiencing transportation related problems, call 773-553-2860 for immediate assistance.

For General Education Students

Due to the ongoing bus driver shortage, CPS will not be able to provide transportation to families of General Education students in magnet or selective programs for the 2023-24 school year. CPS sincerely regrets the challenges and inconvenience that this bus driver shortage has caused for many District families.

As a reminder, general education students in magnet or selective programs who qualify for CPS transportation can receive free Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) Ventra cards valued at $35 per month and a companion pass for one parent or guardian who may need to accompany the student on CTA. Please complete the CTA Ventra Card Request or see your school’s designated transportation coordinator for more information. 

CPS has also made funding available to impacted selective enrollment and magnet programs for before- and after-school programming to accommodate students whose parents have to drop them off early or pick them up later. Families and students should contact their schools directly regarding information on these programs.

Bus Aide Hotline


Student Transportation


 773-553-2861 (Fax)

773-553-2850 (Bus Aide Hotline)

42 W. Madison St.
Chicago, IL 60602