Comprised of parents, community, educational, and student members, LSCs serve as an important vehicle for participatory democracy, providing a wide variety of stakeholders an opportunity to make important decisions about how students in their communities will be educated.
Local School Councils are responsible for:
- Approving the school based academic plan (CIWP)
- Approving the alignment of budgetary resources to the CIWP
- Engaging in the annual evaluation of contract principal’s professional practices
- Selecting or renewing contract principals
Get Ready for the 2024 LSC Election
LSC election season is here. LSCs help to propel our schools forward by inviting valuable collaboration from parents, community members, students and staff. Learn how you can get involved by running for an LSC in 2024.
Run for Your Local School Council
If you are a parent, community member, student, or teacher looking to get more involved with your school, we encourage you to consider running in your school’s LSC election. The application window for the 2024 LSC elections opens on October 16, 2023. Applications are due February 8, 2024.
Check Your Eligibility
Parents, community members, students, principals and school staff may all serve on LSCs. Criteria for eligibility depends on member type. To learn whether you are eligible to serve on an LSC, view our eligibility rules.
Mark Your Calendar
- October 16, 2023: Nomination period begins for candidates
- February 8, 2024: Deadline for filing LSC candidate forms
- April 10, 2024: Election day for elementary schools
- April 11, 2024: Election day for high schools
- July 1, 2024: New term of office begins
Fill an Open Seat on Your LSC
Your Local School Council needs your support. We are looking for parents, community members, educators, and students to fill open LSC seats for the 2022-24 term of office and help shape the future of our district. Learn more about LSC opportunities in your area and apply today.