Acceptable Use Policy
Welcome to the CPS Acceptable Use of Technology Guidance site. This site was created to provide staff, students, and parents with guidance and supporting information to ensure the appropriate use of CPS technology. Specifically, this site addresses and sets standards of behavior for the use of the CPS network, devices, digital platforms and communications, and interactions among CPS staff and students. Given the rapid pace of technological advancement, we are committed to keeping students and their personal information safe and secure. Our goal is to provide the resources they need to prepare for the future as responsible digital citizens.
We expect to make regular updates to the resources available on this website and will prominently feature new information as it is added. The following information will be available shortly:
- Instructions for requesting a CPS school, department, or team Facebook or Twitter account from the Office of Communications
- A preliminary listing of CPS accepted communication platforms and channels
CPS conducted a comprehensive revision of Acceptable Use policies and guidelines in summer 2018. The most significant updates affect the use of mobile devices and social media platforms for both staff and students. Policies and related quick guides are available on the staff and student pages. More broadly, the following updates were applied to former policies.
Updated Policy Highlights
- Increased Flexibility: Allows for continual refinement of guidelines over time based on on technological advances and input from our staff, students and parents.
- Updated Definitions: Incorporates guidance on the use of Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Collaboration Tools, and Social Media.
- Unacceptable Uses: Includes updated technical references and explicitly outlines unacceptable behavior.
- Asset Management: Provides additional context and guidance regarding general asset management, responsibilities, and protocol.
It is important to read, understand, and uphold the new policies to ensure the safety of our students’ personal identifiable information.
If you do not find an answer to your concern, please submit your feedback. Your input will not only help drive the longer term strategy, but will also inform the additional support material we make available via this website.