CPS Dual Language Programs are currently offered in select neighborhood schools, charter schools, and magnet schools. Students in DLE Programs include those identified as English Learners (ELs), non-English Learners (non-ELs), or heritage language learners.
One-way dual language programs provide instruction in two languages and serve mostly ELs, former ELs, and heritage language learners in the same classroom.
Two-way dual language programs aim for a 50:50 balance of ELs/heritage language learners and non-ELs in the classroom. If this ratio cannot be met, each language group should account for at least one third. Students serve as language models to each other as they acquire the second language. Like one-way programs, two-way dual language programs provide instruction in two languages and include a mix of ELs, non-ELs, and heritage language learners in the same classroom.
In both types of DLE Programs, students receive core instruction (language arts, math, science, social science) through a second language with the goal of all students becoming bilingual and biliterate in both Spanish and English. In addition to core instruction, all ELs enrolled in a DLE Program receive English Language Development instruction, and all native-English-speaking students receive Language Development instruction in the partner language (e.g., Spanish Language Development) to improve their proficiency in the new language. It is recommended that students in the dual language program continue in the program through at least sixth grade so that they have a greater opportunity to develop literacy skills and fluency in both languages.
- Perform at or above grade level in all academic areas in both languages
- Demonstrate positive cross-cultural flexibility and behaviors
- Engage in a learning environment that develops bilingualism, biliteracy, and cultural understanding among English Learners and non-English Learners
- Potential to obtain the State Seal of Biliteracy upon high school graduation
To learn more about DLE Programs, contact the Office of Language and Cultural Education.
Elementary Schools with Dual Language Programs
10 of 33 showing
- AVONDALE-LOGANDALE 773-534-5350 3212 W GEORGE St Chicago, Illinois 60618
- AZUELA 773-535-7395 4707 W MARQUETTE Rd Chicago, Illinois 60629
- BARRY 773-534-3455 2828 N KILBOURN Ave Chicago, Illinois 60641
- BATEMAN 773-534-5055 4220 N RICHMOND St Chicago, Illinois 60618
- BELMONT-CRAGIN 773-534-2900 5252 W PALMER St Chicago, Illinois 60639
- CALMECA 773-535-7000 3456 W 38TH St Chicago, Illinois 60632
- CARSON 773-535-9222 5516 S MAPLEWOOD Ave Chicago, Illinois 60629
- CHASE 773-534-4185 2021 N POINT St Chicago, Illinois 60647
- CLEVELAND 773-534-5130 3121 W BYRON St Chicago, Illinois 60618
- COOPER 773-534-7205 1624 W 19TH St Chicago, Illinois 60608