Students who are Medically Fragile may display the following characteristics in addition to one of the defined Medically Fragile conditions below:
- Are frequently absent from school, and their absences are directly related to their severe or life-threatening physical condition.
- Qualify for special education in one of the existing categories of disability or are considered disabled under Section 504.
- A Licensed physician/advanced practice registered nurse has provided documentation that an associated or accompanying chronic illness is so severe as to affect the student's school attendance.
- A medically fragile student is one whose illness and treatment frequently places him/her in extreme, precarious or life threatening circumstances.
In addition, he/she may be technology-dependent for life support systems, i.e., tracheotomy, gastrostomy, etc.
Medically Fragile Conditions
Category B (eligible if attendance is below 75%/yearly)
- Asthma, unspecified
- Cerebral Palsy, unspecified
- Colitis, noninfectious, unspecified
- Crohn’s Disease (regional enteritis, unspecified site)
- Congenital Anomalies, unspecified
- Chronic Kidney Disease/End-Stage Renal Disease
- Heart Disease/Hypertension
- Down Syndrome