As a parent of a young child with a disability, it is important for you to know that you are not alone. Through the Star Net Project, the Office of Diverse Learner Supports and Services offers a wealth of resources, including information, tools, training, and technical assistance to support families with young children ages birth through eight years old with developmental delays and special needs.
Star Net provides families with:
- Information on specific disabilities
- Information on how your child’s disability affects all areas of your family’s life, including education, health, siblings and daily activities
- Loans of material from a lending library with over 1,200 items
- Free workshops and conferences on topics of interest to families
- Financial assistance for families with a child age 3, 4, or 5, who has an IEP to attend in-state conferences
- Financial assistance for education professionals who desire more training
- Networking with other families whose child has a similar disability.
To learn more, visit Star Net Chicago.
For a list of Star Net events, check out the Star Net Workshop Calendar.
To access a comprehensive searchable database of Early Childhood trainings in Illinois, visit the Gateways to Opportunity Statewide Online Training Calendar, the shared calendar for Illinois Early Childhood Programs for Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS), Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), and the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).
Star Net Lending Library
Star Net operates a lending library of books and videos that are available for loan to Chicago city residents who are part of Star Net Region V. Residents may borrow up to five library resources for up to four weeks. The borrower must return the materials to the Star Net office or will be billed for replacement costs.
Browse the library catalog online and place resources on reserve for pick-up. Request materials by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, book or resource title(s), and SKU number(s).
Materials must be returned to:
Star Net Region V
CPS Garfield Park Office
2651 W. Washington Blvd., 2nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60612