The Chicago Families Forward Fund
Families have been through a lot over the last year due to COVID-19. Removing barriers to school is very important. The City and CPS would like to help.
Families with an eligible student can receive $500.
What can I use this check for?
These funds are flexible and usable for all educational and household needs including:
How can I cash my check?
Besides using a bank, you can cash checks the following ways:
What other supports are
available for my student?
Students who are eligible Students in Temporary Living Situations (STLS) are also eligible to receive an internet hotspot through Chicago Connected, free school supplies, waived school fees, and free transportation for some students (contact your STLS liaison to determine if you’re eligible). Talk to your Liaison for other resources including winter coats, other clothing items, and tutoring services.
Reach out to your STLS liaison to help identify additional services for students who need the most provided through CPS’ Moving Forward Together Framework, including:
- Access to school counselors and mentors
- Out-of-School Time activities
- Tutoring and helping with class work
- Reading help for our youngest learners
- Extra programming for transition grades (pre-k, kindergarten, high school, and post-secondary)
City of Chicago Supports
The City of Chicago provides a variety of citywide supports, including:
- Enrichment and summer employment opportunities such as One Summer Chicago
- Drop-in and overnight shelters for youth (more information can be found at www.streetlightchicago.org or by calling 311)
- Mental health clinics and crisis lines (more information can be found at https://mentalhealth.chicago.gov)
To learn more about these services, please contact the STLS liaison at your school.