2013 School Actions Building Repurposing and Sale Process
Please note: this site will be updated with additional information as the repurposing process continues.
Updated March 2023
Completed or Ongoing
- Creation of public website with property data - Completed
- Identifying properties for reuse - Completed
- Engaging Aldermen throughout the city regarding community input - Completed
- Preparing Request for Proposals ("RFP") to retain real estate broker(s) - Ongoing
- Preparing bid solicitation for public advertisement of properties - Ongoing
Buildings to be Repurposed
Details on the buildings to be repurposed are listed below. Please note that pursuant to the Advisory Committee's Report, buildings are currently being evaluated for immediate reuse by the City or other governmental agencies. Some buildings have been withdrawn from the repurposing process and identified for immediate reuse.
CPS reserves the right to amend or correct property information.
- Armstrong, L
Potential Uses of Buildings
School buildings often occupy a prime location in their communities, with ample frontage and a commanding physical presence. Given those characteristics, many closed buildings have already garnered interest for various types of repurposing.
While final decisions will not be made outside of the formal process, interested parties have already drafted informal proposals for a number of properties. All proposals will be reviewed, but only formal proposals that meet the requirements of the CPS bid solicitation will be considered for ownership of the property.
Commercial use, mixed use and community use are all potential types of use. All proposals must be adequately financed and sustainable. All properties are sold "as is, where is" and will be conveyed to new owners.
- Assess facilities by their ability to advance existing community, citywide, and City/sister-agency plans
- Prioritize reuse strategies for purposes that will make the most efficient use of the current facility configurations
- Create the most efficient, flexible, and streamlined process for facility disposition
- Assure future uses are financially viable
If you have any recommendations to improve this site, or if you have additional questions about the repurposing process, please feel free to contact us.