What Does Quality Recess Look Like?
Recess is a non-instructional activity during the school day that provides students the opportunity to engage in physical activity as well as activities that promote social development. Recess may include structured activities, organized games, fitness activities, and/or free play, but may not be instructional in nature. It should be scheduled before lunch to facilitate students’ ability to digest and optimize the amount and intensity of physical activity during recess.
- PlayWELL One-Pager [ English | Spanish ]
- PlayWELL Recess Weather Guidelines [ English | Spanish ]
- PlayWELL Indoor Recess Guide [ ENGLISH ]
- PlayWELL Alternatives to Withholding Physical Activity as Punishment [ ENGLISH ]
- Elementary and middle schools must provide a minimum of 20 minutes of daily recess
- Recess should be offered before lunch
- Recess should not be withheld as punishment