Student engagement benefits the school by harnessing new energy, ideas, and strategies which increases the sustainability of wellness programs and initiatives with student buy-in.
This engagement also benefits students by giving them the opportunity to develop skills in leadership, communication, problem solving, and decision making. It also empowers them to make a positive difference to their school environment.
Why Is Family Engagement Important?
Strong family engagement in school wellness initiatives can help students establish healthy habits that will last a lifetime. Students with parents who are engaged in their school lives are known to be more likely to have higher grades and test scores, better student behavior, and enhanced social skills.
EngageWELL covers six strategies for family engagement:
- Provide parenting support
- Communicate with parents
- Provide a variety of volunteer opportunities
- Support learning at home
- Empower parents to be part of decision-making
- Collaborate with the community
- Engage students in a variety of wellness efforts, such as starting a Student Wellness Team or having a student representative on the School Wellness Team.
- Engage parents and guardians in a variety of wellness efforts, such as serving on School Wellness Teams.